Below is a little story to accompany the pic of our adorable little frankfurter and if you've read my recent rants about being a first year teacher this will make much more sense.
Brad and I were headed out of town on Halloween weekend for a wedding in Colorado. While excited for the trip, I was stressing out because we had to leave for the airport right from school and in the middle of my Halloween party at that. I was also bumming because we were going to have to leave Colie and Milo for yet another weekend (the fourth in a row.)
On the Thursday before Halloween (the night before our flight) I ran into Target to pick up some Halloween themed goodies for my students' party the next day. While inside the wonderland that is Target I stumbled across the costume aisle, or should I say aisles. While sauntering through the chaos I came across a magical aisle...the aisle with pet costumes. For those you know me, you understand that finding an entire aisle of pet costumes is pretty much like winning the lottery in my eyes. For years I have been subjecting my pets to the horror of costumes (and clothing) so finding an entire area at Target, dedicated to the process of dressing your animal up to look like another animal or something even better, brought on an energy like I hadn't felt in weeks.
I quickly scanned the assortment in pursuit of the perfect costume for Colie. (As I said before, Milo was off the hook this year.) Like a beam of sunlight bursting through the clouds, there is was. The costume I had dreamed of for the last three years. The hot dog suit. Yes, the hot dog suit. I had seen this costume once before, long ago, but there were only larges left at the time. I quickly scanned the availability and found a small for our little Colie Bear. I was SO excited. (Keep in mind my life at the time was a scattered mess. My emotions were in shambles and I could barely talk without wanting to burst into tears as a result of my lack of sleep and lack of sanity.) I rounded up the remaining items on my list and headed home. I couldn't wait to get home and show Brad my prized possession. On the drive home I planned the reveal out. Colie and I would go into the bedroom and we would emerge with her in her hot dog suit and me singing the Oscar Meyer theme song. It would be perfect. Brad would laugh, I would sing and Colie would march proudly around although she was restricted to a bun.
None of this occurred. None of it. Why you ask? Because in my hurry to get home I managed to grab all my bags from the checkout stand except the only one that mattered. The one with the costume in it. After unloading the car and realizing my mistake I immediately broke down in tears. Yup, I bawled my eyes out over a size small, hot dog costume for a dog. I mean bawled. Full breakdown. Sobbing. Brad, understanding my irrational nature was simply a result of stress and exhaustion, gave me a bear hug and immediately started brainstorming ways in which to rectify the situation. He was already grabbing his keys and heading out the door to retrieve it when I broke the news that I hadn't bought it at our Target but rather at the one in Redmond, 45 minutes away from out house. More tears. More irrational behavior on my part. More of Brad trying to tell me everything was going to be okay. More of me slowly realizing that I had pretty much lost my mind.
I will spare you the rest of the details but let's just say it ended with Brad and I getting up extra early so that we could be at the Redmond Target when the doors opened. The costume has been located and within minutes our little sausage was dressed and ready for a picture before we had to drop her off with Grandma and Grandpa Johnson and head to Colorado. Halloween had been saved
No comments:
Post a Comment